Information Resources >
Internet Resources > Medium-Specific
Links > Audio
- American Library Association (ALA)—Audio
Preservation PDF at www.ala.org/Content/ContentGroups/ALCTS1/Publications10/Web_Publications
- This 1998 report from the American Library Association covers
the basics of audio preservation, including formats, storage,
disaster recovery, and reformatting. The report lists a bibliography,
relevant journals, and sound archives.
- Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC):
- The ARSC is an international organization dedicated to all aspects
of recorded sound. It holds conferences, publishes findings, and
provides grants and awards to help develop and disseminate information
in the field of sound media. A reprint of the 1959 Library of
Congress document Preservation and Storage of Sound Recordings
is available for purchase through their site.
- CoOl: Preservation of Audio Materials: palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/audio/
- A project of the Preservation Department of Stanford University
Libraries, CoOl is a rich site of conservation/preservation information.
Topics include audio materials, digital imaging, electronic materials,
suppliers, and more. Links are grouped under the headings “Individuals
& Organizations” and “Resources at Other Sites.”
CoOl’s audio tape preservation page not only contains links
to pertinent overview articles (such as the Council on Library
and Information Resources “Folk Heritage in Crisis”
and the National Library of Canada’s guide to audio
preservation), but also provides sources of information on standards,
guidelines, practices, and format and sound history. This page
has an extensive bibliographic resource section that includes
both print and web sources.
- ScreenSound Australia—How to Care for your Audio:
- This compendium of international information on audio material
covers basic topics such as storage and restoration. It also features
a PDF on dealing with fire-damaged audio materials.
- Vignettes Media : http://www.richardhess.com/tape/tips.htm
- This site’s section on tape restoration tips includes
a guide to identifying tape formats, links to articles on common
tape problems, and storage environment recommendations.