While there are many museum studies and conservation programs in
the United States and abroad, the following list focuses specifically on programs
dedicated to moving-image preservation.
- The Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA):
- The Association of Moving Image Archivists focuses on archiving
through acquisition, preservation, and exhibition. It offers workshops,
publications, and meetings to promote preservation activities
and to educate the public.
Sony Pictures Scholarship
CFI Sid Solow Scholarship
Rick Chace Foundation Scholarship
Studios Preservation Scholarship:
- These scholarships are given to students pursuing careers in
Kodak Fellowship in Film Preservation:
- In conjunction with the Eastman Kodak Company, AMIA provides
a fellowship for moving- image archivists that includes academic
scholarship, registration for the AMIA conference, and a summer
internship at Kodak or another film restoration facility in Los
- Bern University of the Arts, Bern, Switzerland:
- BA and MA in Modern Materials and Media Conservation and Restoration.
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA):
- The National Archives and Records Administration is charged
with providing access to documents on the rights of American citizens,
the actions of federal officials, and “the national experience.”
in Archival Administration: Funding for fellowships in archival
management at host institutions.
- New York University, Moving Image Archiving and Preservation
(New York, NY): www.nyu.edu/tisch/preservation
- During this two-year Master’s degree program, students
work with archives, museums, labs, and arts organizations in the
New York area. By combining theory, method, and practical information,
the curriculum covers all aspects of moving-image archiving.
- Preservation Management Institute at Rutgers University
(New Brunswick, NJ): www.scils.rutgers.edu/programs/pds/pmi.jsp
- This biennial program, which consists of three weeklong sessions
over the course of one year, earns participants a Certificate
in Preservation Management from Rutgers University’s School
of Communication, Information, and Library Studies. This program
gives students a solid grounding in preservation issues, from
technology to management to storage. The 2002–3 session
focused heavily on magnetic-media preservation.
- L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation, George
Eastman House, (Rochester, NY): www.eastman.org/16_preserv/16_index.html
- This one-year certificate program provides students with a comprehensive
education in the restoration, preservation, and archiving of motion
pictures. Students receive training in curatorial duties, management
of collections, advanced preservation techniques, and evaluation
of storage strategies.
- UCLA Moving Image Archive Studies Program (Los Angeles,
- This two-year Master’s degree program combines training
in new technologies with a thorough backing in the history and
social and cultural relevance of moving images. Students are also
paired with professional mentors who help refine research and